Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Disclaimer

I realized the tone of this blog isn't coming across correctly. I enjoy doing research on how children learn and I incorporate that into my parenting. I've had many people ask me why I make certain decisions, which are not at all mainstream. After a discussion with a family member over Christmas, I thought about starting this blog.

It's not that I think the way I'm doing things is right and the way other people do things is wrong. I'm reading the research and making decisions about what is best for our family. No one else has a family like mine and I would not expect anyone else to make all the same decisions we have. We can make opposite decisions and both be right.

There are many times I read the research and don't follow what it says. For example, research has proven children raised from birth with daily exposure to in person fluent native speakers of three diverse languages (English, Slovakian, Chinese - not English, Spanish, French) will have better brain development, faster processing times, and about a dozen other great things. However, this is not realistic in my life.

This blog is about what I do and why. I am not judging your decisions, just hoping you will better understand my strange ones. :)

2 comments:

  1. I really like this and that disclaimer makes sense. I get that too - readers of my blog think that I am "bashing" other parenting styles. Not so. I think we can fairly depict what we do and if it happens to help someone, great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really about supporting each other, not trying to judge. I'm glad you get that. :)

      Delete