Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My blogging rules and statistics

For those that don't know me in real life, here are some interesting "rules" I have made for this blog. The photos, once again, aren't related to the topic.

I won't publish the names of my kids. First and foremost, this is for security. I don't want a stranger who has read the blog to see my kids in public and call out their names. This also makes me more comfortable sharing information. I'm hoping this limits embarrassment when the kids get older also.

Our family in Miami

The photos are a year old. I won't publish any photos that are less than 6 months old and almost all (95%) are a year old. All of the blog posts with what I have done are about last year. This also gives us more privacy. Kids change so fast and if a stranger sees a photo of my kids a year ago they aren't likely to recognize them now. This also gives me time to reflect on if something we have done worked or not. I can leave out all of the stories of the things that didn't work.

It's a tough life.

This blog is not a realistic view of our lives. This blog is all about the good, the successful, and the research. I could do 4 times as many posts of things that were bad, unsuccessful, and on how instinct often fails us. While that would be a much more entertaining blog, it's not the purpose of this blog and I'm trying to stay (somewhat) on topic.

Father's Day on the beach

I am fascinated by the statistics of who is actually reading this blog. The top 10 countries who have hits on my page are:  United States, Australia, Canada, France, United Kingdom, Germany, India, Netherlands, Guam, and Mauritius. Mostly English speaking, which makes sense. I even know people living in half of those countries. Granted, I had to look up Mauritius because I had never even heard of it. Hi Mauritites! Or whatever you prefer to be called...

She loves her Daddy! (He's blinking, but she's just too cute not to use the photo.)
 
My top referring sites are Facebook, Google (in 6 different countries), Bing, and a French site about baby wearing. My most read post happens to be the one that has been up the longest. It's nice when stats make perfect sense.

Getting dressed up is exhausting.

So here's where I ask for the help of readers. If you see any of my photos posted on another site and not credited back to this page, please let me know. I will also try to live up to my side of the bargain. My goal is 4 posts a month. Yes, I failed in May, but it is a goal. Once a week doesn't seem like much, but between the twin toddlers, the large puppy, and life, it doesn't always happen. For example, in May we had sick kids, my lap top died (every 20 minutes of use), and my kids were going through one of their more difficult phases. I just didn't have the energy to keep up with it. When it comes down to my kids, my sanity, and the blog, they will always be prioritized in that order. I'm sure any other parents reading this will understand!

Sorry this was a really boring post. I have 2-3 other posts in the works, but I'm just not inspired to actually finish them.

2 comments: