Monday, March 5, 2012

Conversations

Climbing on a bridge

We spend a lot of time talking and listening to our children. We work on modeling proper pronunciation and sentences. Here's an example of a conversation we had on the way home from picking my son up at "school." This is the day only he attends and my daughter had spent the day with me. As soon as I pick my son up to put him in the car he sees his sister. 

Son: "Sister! I wuv Sister." (He used her actual name.)
Daughter: "Awwwww"
Me: "You guys are so cute. Did you have a good day at school?"
Son: "Yes. Fun."
Me: "Did you play with Carter?"
Son: "Carker"
Me: "Did you play with Drew?"
Son: "No, Sui"
Me: "Did you play with Sui?"
Son: "Yes Sui moosk"
Me: "You played with Sui in music?"
Son: "Yes happy"
Me: "You are happy that you played with Sui in music?"
Son: "No Sui happy"
Me: "Sui was happy you played with him in music?"
Son: "Yeah buddy!"

That's where I burst out laughing. I have no idea where "yeah buddy" came from but it's one of the funniest things he had said. Even though he was only speaking in broken words, I always used those to build the conversation into sentences.

Spinning is great for developing the vestibular system.

I've mentioned the importance of books so many times I'm sure you are sick of hearing it, but here's a real life example of the things they can learn from books that don't come up in normal conversations. I'm sitting on the couch with the kids talking about animals. My daughter mentions the "wallybean" and I'm confused. I tell her I don't know what animal that is and she looks completely frustrated with me. She goes into the other room and comes back with a book. She opens it, points to a picture and says "wallybean" again. Ah yes, the wallaby, I forgot about that animal and I had to look up what sound a wallaby made.

A girl and her pretty pink pony

She can also tell the difference between a macaw and a parrot apparently. She will correct me if I call one the wrong thing. Unfortunately I've never had time to stop and figure out the difference. She does know that a macaw says "sauk" and a parrot says "helwo". While all of these are things we have read in books, they aren't our favorite books so it's been awhile since we've read them. I'm impressed.

 He lined up the babies and started reading to them. Love it!

1 comment:

  1. Well this just near melted my heart. I look after a little French girl who speaks about as much English as I do French and we spend most of our time looking through books, it is a great way to communicate. I <3 this.

    Love Elle xo

    http://skylarkingnanny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete