Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Science Experiments

I go to pick up the kids from school. Sweet Son is ready first and we are standing in the hall waiting on Sweet Daughter. I tell Sweet Son to put on his hat and gloves because it is cold outside. I add that it is literally freezing temperatures.

He gets distracted by this last statement and comes up with a plan. He proposes we put water outside to freeze, but this time instead of putting out a lot, maybe we could do different amounts. One container with a little, one with a lot - except in two different size containers, so 4 total. Then we can see which will freeze first. The other parents waiting in the hallway are looking at him and are clearly impressed.

I ask which he thinks will freeze first. He says the smallest one should because there is less of it to freeze. Then he thinks some more and says well, maybe the bigger container with the small amount because it will be more spread out. It will have more top area, so it might freeze first. I said that's a great hypothesis. He starts jumping up and down asking if we can test it. I agree (I know, I'm such a push over).

The director walks down the hallway and says hi to all of us waiting. One of the moms pulls her aside and says, "That boy just designed his own Science experiment!" The director looked at Sweet Son and said, "Yeah, he does that a lot." She just kept walking.

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed that he clearly did design it or that apparently the director wasn't surprised. My kids are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment