Sunday, March 20, 2011

TV and Computer Time for Babies

Before you read ahead and become offended, please read the disclaimer. Also, the photos used are cute, but in no way related to the post.


A few years before having kids I was fortunate enough to attend a conference about how the brain learns. The presenters are neuro-scientists and it was for educators. Basically we spent 3 days looking at fMRI and PET scans to test educational theories. I loved it. Some of the research supported what educators already knew, for example, kids who can rhyme learn to read earlier than kids who can't rhyme, but can recognize their letters. The brain scans show that rhyming develops the same pathway in the brain that will later be used for reading. Recognizing letters is a type of symbolic recognition and is handled by a completely different part of the brain. It's nice when everyone can agree.

One of the big topics discussed was TV and computer time for babies/children/teens. When sharing this research I'm most often told they got it wrong. The brain scans were obviously lying because parents/educators have another idea. I have had people get offended that I'm saying what is best isn't what they did or are doing. They react like I'm accusing them of child abuse. It's crazy and why I started this post suggesting you read the disclaimer.



Multiple research groups across the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia have all taken on this topic and their results have all shown the same thing. They took babies and set them in front of a television with a baby video on the tv. The kids sat staring at the TV and when the video ended some sat still staring, but many cried and seemed to want more. The brain scans showed a different story. The babies couldn't seem to make any sense out of what they were seeing and the constantly changing images were actually killing off some of the connections in the brain. It was slowly causing minor brain damage. This was only noticeable when reading the brain scans, but every time a baby was watching TV the same thing happened. Those connections didn't seem to ever come back.



Next the research teams tested 5 and 6 year old kids. They watched age appropriate educational videos. Once again the kids sat staring at the TV and got upset when it was over. They asked to watch more. The brain scans this time were different. The kids were learning from the shows. They were developing new connections and reinforcing ones that already existed.

Obviously something had changed. Here's where the real fun begins. There were two different theories. 1 Something changes in the brain chemistry in the first few years that causes this. 2 The type or content of the videos causes the difference.



Some of the research groups started narrowing it down based on age. They tested toddlers (16-20 months old) and it was still damaging. They tested 3  year olds (35-37 months) and it was beneficial. They tested 2 year olds (23-25 months) and it was harmful. Are you excited to see when the change happens yet? This is how I know I'm a nerd - I was on the edge of my seat wanting to hear every bit of this information. They tested kids who were exactly 30 months old (2.5 years) and it was beneficial. This research takes months to complete and this is where the story ends for now. They are still trying to narrow it down and see when the flip seems to happen. I am looking forward to hearing the new research, but until then our kids won't see any TV until they are at least 2.5 years old.



The other type of research is even more fascinating. This testing first proved it doesn't matter the content with kids under 2 years old, it's always harmful. They then looked at the benefits from different types of shows and computer games for the older (3-7 year olds) groups. There were many shocking discoveries.



First, the pacing of the program is the most important factor. If you watch a show and count the number of scene changes you will get an idea of the pacing. The greater the number, the worse it is for children. The most beneficial shows were paced as in life. The child's walking pace if they were going from room to room changing their own scene is actually the ideal pace of scene changes on TV. Cool, right? So shows with pacing like Mr. Rodgers are much better than the pacing of Baby Einstein videos.

Second, the content of the program and its impact on the brain was not what I expected. Shows that were thought of as violent (Power Rangers) were compared to shows that were thought of as non-violent (Berenstain Bears). Kids were more likely to have the positive feeling part of their brains light up for the violent shows than for the non-violent. Researchers sat down and watched each of the shows noting everything negative and everything positive. For example, every time someone was called a negative name, teased, pushed as well as every time someone was complimented, teamwork was demonstrated, and a helping hand was offered. Turns out that the non-violent shows often spent 25 of the 30 minute video dealing with a problem, i.e. kids not getting along, and 5 minutes resolving the problem. They had very high negative scores and very small positive ones by the end. The violent video spent 25 minutes talking about teamwork, helping and only 5 minutes actually fighting. They had high numbers of positive and small numbers of negative. While adults had been watching these shows for years, no one expected this type of correlation. With the help of a brain scan suddenly the way researchers look at videos completely changed.

Third, the researchers focused on the interactive nature of the video and included computer time as well. This did prove what was expected - the more interactive the better. TV shows that got kids up and dancing or answering questions that were posed were much better than the shows that kids just sat and watched. Computer games were rated equal to interactive videos (not better) when controlled for the pacing and programing. Interestingly, pacing was always the most important factor with programing being second and interactiveness falling into the third place.

This research is still continuing to see what else matters and where it will fall on its impact on children's brains.



When we do let our kids have screen time when they are 2.5, we will consider these things when choosing what they can view. We are of course trying to be perfect parents, but honestly that was out the window when they were just a few minutes old. More realistically, we are trying not to screw the kids up when it's preventable. I'm sure a few years from now they will come out with research that says we did many things wrong, but we have to take what we know and make decisions based on that and when in doubt, just go with our gut instinct.

12 comments:

  1. Great information and fascinating blog. I have just noticed my 10wk old is looking at the TV where before she didn't notice it. I will have to try to turn her away so she doesn't face it - or the computer! She loves looking at everything now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before having kids I was addicted to the TV and computer. If I was home the TV was on, even if I wasn't watching. I checked my email every 10 minutes. So not ever having the TV on when the kids are awake is very difficult for me, however it's just one of many sacrifices I'm making for my kids. :)

    I'm glad you are enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a really great post, thank you for writing it. Will defently be sharing this to my friends on facebook.
    Would you mind sharing the research links for this post? I think it would be interesting to read them.
    Thanks again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all of the articles printed from the conference I attended. I will look them up to see if they have online versions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scientists at the conference only included their own research in our printed materials, though their presentations included that of many others. Here's a few articles to get you started!

    "Early Television Exposure and Subsequent Attentional Problems in Children" published in Pediatrics Vol. 133 No. 4

    "Influencing brain networks: implications for education" published in Trends in Cognitive Science vol. 9 no. 3

    "Temporal-callosal pathway diffusivity predicts phonological skills in children" published in PNAS vol. 104 No. 20

    "Five 'Wows' Every Parent Should Know published in the book Bright From the Start

    "Cracking the Language Code: Neural Mechanisms Underlying speech Parsing" published in the Journal of Neuroscience, July 19, 2006

    "Brain development in children and adolescents: Insights from anatomical magnetic resonance imaging" published in Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 30

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to do that Jessica. {{hug}}
    I have had several sick kids at our house so havent been able to get back to this and look them up on line and read them yet but I have the page saved so that I can later.
    Thank you again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post. This really clears up things for me! My in-laws have the tv on all day, and seems to think I am a worrywart that I don't like my 5 month old watching it when we visit. I even compromised to letting them put on golf (slower screen changes) Now I can show them this and let them make a decision - which I am sure will be no tv until 2.5 years. They would not like it if they know it kills brain cells.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents and in-laws think I'm crazy for being so strict about tv, but they aren't interested in the research. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We waited until our kids were about 2 so I guess we started a little early but also read some studies about it. Do your research and don't be afraid to go against the grain mama!

    But even still - we limit it. As they get older than can handle more, but too much and it makes them really crabby and have bad attitudes. Regardless of content. Stuff going on in the brain for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How is anyone offended by this? I know my kids watch tv, but my husband and I heavily restrict it. This just proves that our gut (and the AAP recommendation) was right.

    Also, I learned some of this while I was earning my master's degree, in my brain based learning class. I loved that class as well, and this research is fascinating.

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People seem to think that if there is research going against what they believe or have done, then I'm evil. At least that's the gist of the emails I get about this post. haha

      I love neuroscience. It's a strange hobby, but well, I'm strange.

      Delete