Sunday, April 17, 2011

Doula

Most people in the area I live have never heard of a doula. A google search came back with multiple, often contradictory definitions. Here's the closest one to what I'm referring to: "a woman who is trained to provide support to women and their families during pregnancy, childbirth, and the period of time following the birth." Even that is such an oversimplification it's like saying a wheel is round and supports the weight of objects you want to move. True, but there is so much more to it.

 Sweet Daughter
 Sweet Son

We debated hiring a birth doula, but decided against it. Hindsight is 20/20 and we should have. I don't know anyone who has hired a birth doula and regretted it. Doulas aren't just for women wanting a natural birth. They work at hospitals, birth centers, and anywhere else you want to give birth. They are there to support the mother and her wants and needs. If you want an epidural and a c-section they are there to help you. At the end of pregnancy most women are overly emotional and a doula not only understands, but can expertly handle any situations that may arise. They can help the father (or partner) to understand and support. They know where to place pressure to help relieve pain. They know breathing techniques that should help and if nothing else, they are simply someone who gets it.


We did hire a postpartum doula. She was going through her training so we did not pay full price. Many times if someone can't afford it, doulas will work with you through payment plans, bartering, or they can refer you to someone going through training. Our postpartum doula was wonderful! I was overwhelmed with everything, still highly emotional, and trying to process everything that had just happened. There were many times I just needed someone to talk to - it sounds crazy (I was way past crazy at that point), but that's what I needed more than anything else. She supported me emotionally, helped around the house, held babies, and offered tips for making life a little easier. 



 It also made my husband feel better when he was going to work if he knew she was coming over for a few hours. Twin infants are amazingly difficult to take care of and when you add recovering from major surgery, sudden drop in hormones, and a sweet, but needy dog to the mix, I was overwhelmed. I would set goals like learning how to leave the house for a minute - literally how to check the mail. Getting caught up on laundry and dishes was a joke. Everything was just never ending work on no sleep.




I highly recommend hiring a doula for your birth and postpartum. It's a strange word for someone who is a huge help and will always be loved!

 Also by Jennifer Lauren Photography

2 comments:

  1. With the lack of support after birth nowadays, a doula or independent midiwife is essential, for emotional support and the practical support of establishing breastfeeding. My midwife really made me a confident parent, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and great post! I have a few friends who hired midwives and had nothing but great reviews about their experiences. My friend explained that her friendship, comforting words and teachings were what kept her calm and sane in the scary transition becoming a mother.

    I will definitely be hiring a midwife when we get pregnant. :)
    -Shellie

    ReplyDelete