Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Teething Necklaces

When pregnant, I learned about teething necklaces. I heard that babies and kids would wear these special necklaces and it would relieve teething pain. After spending years working with kids this seemed crazy.

What necklace?

I did more research. A lot of information is included on the web pages of people selling the necklaces. Of course, this is in their best interest and I didn't trust it. I always track down peer reviewed articles, but this was difficult. In America, the only research I could find was done by geologists. Not something a typical parent would search out. I continued my search and found a ton of research done in other countries. This research was done by medical doctors, pharmacists, psychologists, and on and on! All of the studies seemed to show the necklaces work. So, we figured we might as well try it.


Necklaces under clothes

The necklaces are made of baltic amber. The research shows that when the amber is against the skin the body naturally warms it up and it releases a natural anti-inflammatory. This decreases the inflammation and pain when new teeth are coming through the gums. Honestly, at this point it still sounded crazy. I actually justified it by saying, "Best case scenario, it works. Worst case scenario, they are wearing a necklace."


Happy baby, happy dog

While the most important part is the amber, there were other considerations as well. The necklaces are supposed to fit around the neck comfortably, but not big enough for a child to place in their mouth. They only work when against the skin. Each bead should be individually tied on so that if the necklace breaks, you don't end up with an entire string of choking hazards rolling around the floor. Many of the necklaces are also made with a "weak" spot so if the necklace gets caught on something it breaks at that point and no beads get loose.


Necklace doesn't fit in mouth

We put the necklaces on our kids when they were just a couple of months old. They wear them all the time. There was a time the kids were being cared for by someone else for a few hours and they took the necklaces off, thinking they were dangerous. The kids were upset, fussy, and miserable. Within 30 minutes of putting the necklaces back on they were fine again. They wear them to bed, in the bath, literally all the time. We have not observed any teething pain. My kids aren't miserable before teeth break through. Most of the time when a tooth has broken through we don't even realize it until we see it inside their mouths. My son does have an increase in drool when teething, but it's much worse without the necklace.

Necklace and a cloth diaper, what more do you need?



I did meet one mom who bought a necklace from an unknown website and when it arrived it was plastic rather than amber. If you want to order a necklace, I recommend either of these retailers. This is not a paid advertisement. These companies have no clue who I am and I am in no way benefiting from recommending them. I have ordered items from both and have received great service.
Inspired by Finn     Hip Green Baby

Finally, a picture that shows both necklaces

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea those were teething necklaces. How cool. :) -Shellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post- we love our amber, too! I think my daughter has the very same necklace as yours :) Do you happen to have the links to the research you found, and would you be willing to share? Like you, I've though all along: worst case scenario, she's wearing a cute necklace - but it would be great to have some data to back the idea up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I will try finding the research and posting it here in the next few days. It may take a bit since I haven't researched it in over a year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Jessica, I agree with Melissa the research links would be awesome. : )
    I have wondered about the necklaces but havent tried them and then with the twins I was worried they would try to rip them off of each other. Did you run into that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the time the necklaces are under clothing so they don't even see them. A few times they have pulled on each others, but in order to do that they have to be close and it quickly becomes hitting/hair pulling and not about the necklace. We are still working on being gentle with each other, though I am seeing progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gough, L. J. & Mills, J. S. (1972).
    'The composition of succinite (Baltic amber)'. Nature 239: 527-528. (doi:10.1038/ 239527a0)

    Mills, J. S., White, R. & Gough, L. J. (1984)
    'The chemical composition of Baltic amber'. Chemical Geology 47, 15-39. (doi:10.1016/0009-2541(84)90097-4)

    Alexander P. Wolfe, Ralf Tappert, Karlis Muehlenbachs, Marc Boudreau, Ryan C. McKellar, James F Basinger and Amber Garrett. (2009).
    'A new proposal concerning the botanical origin of Baltic Amber'. Proceedings of the Royal Society Biological Sciences 276: 3403-3412 doi: 10.1098/rspb.2009.0806

    Si Wei Chen, Qin Xin, Wei Xi Kong, Li Min, & Jing Fang Li. (2003)
    'Anxiolytic-like effect of succinic acid in mice'.
    Life Sciences 73: 3257-3264

    In Austria, Switzerland and Germany the necklaces are sold in pharmacies. Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Jessica! ((hug))
    Good to know about the twins leaving each others necklaces alone as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since the necklaces were put on before teething began and they wore them all the time, is it possible to know how they would have done without them? I was just wondering since the only time they took them off was when they were being cared for by someone else and that could have been the reason for them getting upset (i.e. you weren't with them). Also, I know that many babies don't have teething pain, and some are just plain miserable. It just depends on the child. Is there any way for you to know if they didn't have teething pain because of the necklaces....or just because that's how they are? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they were upset because they were with someone else because they weren't upset any of the other times they were with someone else. It was only that time.

      I cannot make any guarantees that these work, but worst case scenario, they are wearing a necklace that does nothing. I do believe they work but it wasn't a huge expense and it certainly can't harm them.

      Delete
  9. What database did you go through to find those articles? Did you find any saying they weren't harmful? My hubby is insisting I give him proof before the ones I already bought (oops) for our baby can be worn. I'm trying really hard to find those articles, but searching the titles on the databases I have access to have yielded no results! help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I have no idea which database I was using. I'm sorry!

      I did not find any research saying they are harmful. The biggest concerns would be choking hazards. #1 If the necklace got caught on something. #2 If the child swallowed the beads.

      The ones we have were specifically made for babies and if they are fitted properly neither of these are an issue. When a necklace got caught, it broke without causing a mark much less hurting a child. Each bead was tied individually so that even when it broke there weren't beads to choke on.

      I hope that helps!

      Delete