Monday, May 21, 2012

Festival

While we try to take advantage of many opportunities to expose our kids to different cultures, this festival came as a surprise to us. It was a dragon boat and kite festival in a city near ours. My husband was requested to participate in the dragon boat races, so we had one day of practice and one day of the actual festival.


The first day (practice day) there weren't many people around. My kids did manage to find someone walking his dogs and offer to help. The open water did scare me, but the dogs kept the kids away from it. 


While Daddy was in a boat we played many rounds of "ring-around-the-rosy" much to the annoyance of everyone living in the local apartments who had to listen to me sing. The kids love being outside and every once in awhile even looked around at the dragon boats.


The day of the festival was crowded. I don't have many photos because I don't want to publish photos of people I don't know. Here is the kite the kids made with very little help. It was a very windy day, but they kept pulling the kite down so it never took off. We saw many people we knew, we watched musical and dancing groups, and were amazed at the professional kites. In our spare time we did make time to cheer for Daddy's boat, but alas, they didn't win.


The end of a long day. Notice he is still white because we made sure the kids had on tons of sunblock. Notice I'm extremely red... yeah, gotta work on remembering to take care of myself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment