Monday, May 7, 2012

Popsicles

It gets hot here, especially during the Summer. It's common to be over 100F (30C). Like most kids, mine love popsicles. I can't just serve regular popsicles though. They are full of sugar, preservatives, and food dye. My kids eat healthy popsicles.



It's messy, but one of our favorites is made from our spinach smoothies. It's a lot of fresh spinach, some yogurt or kefir, and a small handful of fruit - usually strawberries. We blend it for smoothies and then just freeze some extra for popsicles. 



While my daughter enjoyed using hers to color on her tray, my son doesn't believe in wasting food. The bibs seemed like a good idea, but honestly nothing can contain the mess toddlers can make with popsicles. It all washes out anyway.



This was another favorite flavor. Still with mostly spinach, this one also had some carrots and blueberries to give it a different color and texture. If you have never made a smoothie with spinach, you should give it a try. The flavor of the fruit overpowers the spinach so it just tastes like a fruit smoothie. I can even get my husband to eat his vegetables this way! My kids always ask for spinach at the store so we can have smoothies and popsicles. I don't mind if they fill up on them during dinner or want more for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment