Friday, August 17, 2012

Breastfeeding

I've already written a post about the importance of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding has been in the news recently. People seem to think that only young babies should be breastfed and that older babies, toddlers, and even preschoolers shouldn't. This is a really strange concept for me. We are the only mammals that regularly drink the milk of another species. It's normal in our society to drink cow's milk and yet people think it's strange to drink human milk? Logic seems to suggest human milk would be better for humans.


My kids know that babies drink their mommy's milk. This works for all mammal species and doesn't confuse them! They don't remember being breastfed - they really don't remember me pumping. I have tried to let them see other mom's breastfeed so that it is normal. My goal before my kids were born was to breastfeed for at least 2 years, but hopefully longer. If you read the other post, you know I was only able to give them breastmilk for the first year. 


My kids will lift their shirts when their baby dolls are hungry to feed them. I love seeing them do something so natural. At one point they were given baby bottles from a family member. Confused about this concept and with no explanation from me, they decided they were "medicine" bottles. They would pretend to drip the milk or juice on a play spoon and feed it to their babies. The only medicine my kids had up to this point was briar rose, lithy tree, and honey (over the age of 1.5) so they aren't exactly experts.


This is a completely off topic video, but it's just so cute! I'm hiding around a corner, with the camera being the only thing he can see, sorry for the weird angle. This truck comes apart with a toy screwdriver and my son was (and still is) fascinated. He hasn't quite mastered righty tighty, lefty loosy, but he's clearly starting to get the concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment