Monday, December 10, 2012

Woldorf Dolls

While my wonderful husband was making my kids the kitchen tower, I decided my kids needed some high quality dolls. I love the Woldorf dolls, but not the price tag attached to them. So, I decided to buy the materials and make them myself. Yes, I'm insane.


These are the materials for one doll. When I say I made the doll, I really do mean it.


Half of the stuffing goes into the head. The weighting of the dolls is one of the reasons these dolls are different than the type you can buy at the store.


Here I've blocked off and marked where the facial structure will be once I'm finished.


Every head needs skin. It makes it look less freakish don't you think?


Cutting and sewing up the body would have been much easier if I owned a sewing machine. If you want to try this yourself, please use a sewing machine. It may not seem like much, but it would have been a huge help.


Everything flipped right side out


The body is stuffed - remember half of the original stuffing is in the head. This makes the body cuddly and the face have definition.


Attaching the arms to the shoulders/head


Body assembled, facial features added, working on the boy's hair. I should note that the boy doll's hair was much more difficult than the girl doll hair. I should also say that I only gave myself 3 months to complete two dolls. I finished the day before we gave them to the kids.


This is the girl doll. I'm sure you notice that I ran out of time to make clothes for the dolls. Luckily the grandparents were great at finding clothes for the dolls and they now have an entire wardrobe.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job! Would you say it is less expense to make them or just buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically it's less expensive to make them, however it took me all of my "free time" for two complete months to finish making them. I spent every nap time and after the kids went to bed working on these - 3 to 4 hours a day. It would have been faster with a sewing machine, but only by about a week. If you have a lot of free time or are really talented then making them is cheaper. If you have limited time and can afford them, I would just buy.

    ReplyDelete