Monday, February 3, 2014

Writing before Reading

My kids go to a Montessori school and they teach writing before reading. One of the favorite types of work to do is called the moveable alphabet. I found a cheap way to make one for home. Here are some photos of my kids using it.

 Sweet Son had used this at school and immediately got to work with no instruction.

 Here are the 5 words he spelled.

Sweet Daughter watched and still needed some help picking the photos, but she loved getting to do the "big kid" work.

Here are her 5 words. You can clearly see the development of reading skills in her spelling.

This was from a different day. Sweet Son spelled "hat" "eg" (egg) "cup" "nut" and "man". He did turn a couple of the a's upside down which I thought was interesting. Sweet Daughter spelled "sun" "ant" "dog" "pan" and "bat". I love that they can do this completely independently as they practice phonemic awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment