Friday, January 31, 2014

Valentine Boxes

The tradition of exchanging Valentines at school is continuing with my kids. Each year they decorate a box for all of the cards to go in. We have a crazy busy schedule so we usually try to start them about two weeks early.

We start with a simple shoe box covered with easel paper. The kids picked their paint colors - pink and purple for her and light and dark blue for him. I did not raise them to have such stereotypical favorite colors, but just as I wouldn't discourage them from choosing the opposite colors, I won't discourage them from choosing these.

Now you can start to understand why this process takes so long. They paint the entire box. Usually with multiple layers of paint. Then we let it dry for 3-5 days before the next step.

Just about the time the paint dried on these I got an email from the school saying that if we just sent the box wrapped in white paper they would let the kids decorate them at school. They understand most people don't have time to let their kids do art at home. I get it, especially from the schools perspective. They would rather make sure every kid has one decorated and not all parents will provide the time and materials for the kids to do it. I love seeing my kids do things like this. I did verify with their teachers and they thought it was great for us to continue at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment