Monday, January 13, 2014

Ski Weekend, Part 2

As I mentioned in the previous post, Wonderful Husband is a skier. I am willing to go along. I have mastered the greens and feel comfortable (and sometimes confident) on the blues. However, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I knew Wonderful Husband would be in charge of teaching the kids to ski. This is a great plan until you have twins. Suddenly they each need one on one.

We started on a simple carpet lift. Our kids mastered this quickly. They realized they had to leave a space between the person in front of them or they would collide at the top. If you notice there is another child (that I don't know) who is not only right behind me, but is actually on top of my skis. This makes for a bad exit strategy.

Our kids at the top of the bunny hill. They look... unsure.

After watching how Wonderful Husband was teaching Sweet Son, I decided to help Sweet Daughter down the hill. This is the first time I have ever intentionally skied backwards. Sweet Son approached skiing like anything else, cautiously. Sweet Daughter approached skiing like she does everything, by claiming independence. Which is how a couple of runs after this photo was taken she pushed away from me and went down by herself. She stopped when she bumped (gently) into a pole. She was more than willing to stay with us from that point on. I love her independence, but I wish she would wait until she has the basics down before trying things on her own.

After a couple of hours, we decided the kids were ready for their first chair lift. Did I mention the hill wasn't crowded? It was awesome. The kids did great. Only one ended up dangling for a minute when loading. They both were able to exit (with us holding them in front) without the lift stopping. They also thought it was just a fun ride.

Here we are at the top getting ready to go down the green. See, the hill really was empty. The kids got to the point after two mornings of skiing that they could go down just holding our hands. They could do pizza or french fries on command. They didn't figure out turning or stopping, but that's not a bad start for a couple of 3 year olds with no experience. A year later and they are still asking when we will go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment