Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Running

This is a partial repost from a year and a half ago. There will be an update at the end.

If you notice, taking care of your heart and physical health is obviously one of the most important factors in keeping your brain healthy. Nutrition and exercise reduce your risk of cardiovascular problems and mental problems. Trying things that are new and challenging, especially facing the unexpected (traveling, socializing), should be encouraged at all stages of life. I was disappointed that biking and swimming aren't more helpful since I enjoy those. I will continue to play instruments and encourage my kids to do so.

It's better to wear out your body and mind than to rust.
Running will get you results in half the time of walking.
To add 3 years to your life run 100 min/week or walk 200 min/week.
Running is the best exercise for neurological health.
The computer offers hypernormal stimuli.
Fitness increases neurons and connectivity in the brain.
Exercise is as good as Zoloft to treat depression.
Exercise is the equivalent of a little Prozac and a little Adderall.
Running increases your endocannabinoids. (like marijuana)
A PE teacher gave grades based on how long students' heart rates were in the target zone and there was an 83% drop in disciplan referrals.
Teachers should offer a time in instead of a time out (run, bike, etc) in order to turn the brain back on.
Improving cardio fitness improves IQ.
Strength training improves physical health, but not mental.

 I should note here that I hate running, so hearing that was the best thing I could do for myself mentally was a major disappointment. However, it was also the push I needed. As I write this I'm in week 4 of a couch to 5k program. By the time this is published I hope to have completed it. I still hate running, but after seeing the evidence, I feel the need to run.

Update: A year and a half after I started running, I have finally started to enjoy it. Yes, I hated it for that long and continued because of the cognitive research. I'm that much of a nerd. I completed my first half marathon last April. I've completed a few since then. I set a goal to run 500 miles this year. I did it. Tomorrow is the first of two days proving I am crazy. Tomorrow I will run a 5k followed by a half marathon (yes, in the same day). Thursday I will run another 5k followed by a half marathon. It's called a Double Double. My goal is to still be standing at the end. So, if you have a good thought feel free to share it on here or on the facebook page because I will need all the encouragement I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment