Thursday, June 9, 2016

Triathlon

I have been running for awhile, but for some reason I was convinced to try a triathlon. This doesn't seem like a huge leap, I mean I enjoy biking. I can run. Only... I don't know how to swim. I can stay afloat and doggy paddle, but I don't actually know how to swim. So this was an exceptionally strange choice. There was an all women's triathlon scheduled near me. The swimming portion was in a lazy river (jets turned off), so I knew I could stand up or quickly get to the side and hold on if I needed.

In the month before the race we had record rain. This race was scheduled next to a lake. Both the biking and running portions were along or around the lake. The area was flooded and we weren't sure they were going to be able to have the race at all. They did find a way to make it work, but it wasn't ideal. After the swimming, we had to go straight into 1/3 of the run. Then the biking was doing 3 loops instead of going around the lake. This meant a lot of traffic and a lot of turns. Then the last 2/3 of the run which went back past part of the bike race and almost back to the swimming portion. It was crowded.

Luckily, I have the best cheering squad ever.

They were there to remind me what this is all about.

I did it! I can't say I really enjoyed the race. After a half marathon I feel such a sense of accomplishment. This just felt like something I was able to get through. I'm not sure I will ever do another triathlon, which since I still can't swim, is probably a good thing. (The mimosa was good, but could have been stronger, haha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment