Monday, November 11, 2013

Crash Pad

My kids like to run and crash into things. This has caused many injuries and yet they still continue. After doing some research (shocking, I know), I decided to make them a crash pad. Essentially this is just a large pad they can safely crash into. I read about many different ways to make one. Then I used my problem solving skills to do it the lazy way.

This is an old duvet cover that has a couple of holes in it. It is filled with old pillows. You know when pillows get so flat they aren't comfortable any more? Well I couldn't throw them away because that seemed wasteful, so we had an entire collection.

As we have found more pillows it has just gotten bigger and softer. A year later and we still use this daily. Usually for running and jumping on top of - sometimes for sleeping, getting wrapped up like a taco, or hiding under. We have yet to have a single injury on this!

This Summer I saw they are now selling something called a crash pad in the store. It was $45 and only about a 1/2" thick. This was cheaper and better. The only downside is it takes up a lot of space and doesn't look great when it is out. A pretty good trade off for something that was free, gets used daily, and my kids haven't gotten hurt on or broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment