Monday, August 8, 2016

Writing in another voice

Getting first graders to write a complete paragraph is difficult. Getting first graders to understand the point of view of someone else is difficult. Getting first graders to use their senses to describe things is difficult. So of course, our curriculum combined the topics! After reading Morning Girl, the kids had to write two paragraphs. One from the perspective of Morning Girl who is a teen girl that loves waking up early, helping her family, and is generally happy. The other from the perspective of Star Boy who is a younger boy that likes staying up late, makes noise, and plays jokes.

Morning Girl by Sweet Son
"I am excited. I think about the sea water. I see sun flowers. I hear the wind blow. I like to explore. Happiness is all around."

Star Boy by Sweet Son
"I feel good. I see stars and I hear bats. I think about bats. The night sky hides the bats so I can't see them. I am relaxed."

Star Boy by Sweet Daughter
"I am happy. I like to see stars. I like hearing owls. I am laying doun looking at the sky. I wonder what it's like tobe a star. I am excited." (Spelling is her own.)

Morning Girl by Sweet Daughter
"I am happy. I like seeing waves. I can hear birds tweet tweet. I would like diving in the ocean. I am splashing. Excitement is good."


Yes, they follow the same format. That's how you learn to write paragraphs. Not bad for 5 year olds just starting 1st grade though.

No comments:

Post a Comment