Monday, January 21, 2013

MLK Jr

We went to the library and I checked out 3 books about Martin Luther King Jr. The first two are simple stories about his life and the holiday. The third book is an illustrated text of the "I have a dream" speech. I read all 3 to both kids. They happily listened to the first two and for the third sweet daughter sat by me while sweet son was wandering around the room, but still listening.

After I finished, I looked at them and ask, "Did you understand any of that?" Sweet son said, "I have a dream. Free at last." Sweet daughter said, "That man wants me to hold hands with E, but I like to hug him." (E is one of her friends from school who is black.)

Holy cow. I'm impressed.


 At school, sweet daughter's teacher was telling the kids it was MLK day. The teacher said, "Does anyone know who Martin Luther King is?" Sweet daughter spoke up and said, "No, it's Martin Luther King JUNIOR." Her teacher loved this but said she never expected to be corrected by a two year old white girl. haha


No comments:

Post a Comment