Friday, July 18, 2014

Independent Work

We have time every day that the kids are expected to entertain themselves. This is a skill that many children don't have anymore. They expect someone to entertain them or tell them what to do. I believe all kids need to know what to do when they aren't told. My kids have also never told me they are bored, though I still expect that phase at some point. These are photos of some of the things they do when they are given no direction or instructions.

He wrote his first sentence! "i am hapy."

She is working with numbers.

This is one of the reasons I love Montessori work. The kids can do it independently after it has been presented. They think they are just playing and having fun, yet any adult can see why it is called "work" rather than a toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment