Thursday, March 6, 2014

Family and Death

The kids have started asking questions about family. Who is my mom? Who is my dad? Who is my grandma? etc. This has been happening on and off for a few weeks, but there was always one question they seemed to skip over.

Today they went ahead and asked. "Daddy, who is your mom?" He told them his mom died when he was 18. They thought about it for a minute and then ask if he was sad. (We were in the car and they couldn't see his face.) He said yes and they continued with the questions.

Eventually they ask about his grandmother. He said she is also dead. Then they ask why none of my family was dead. So I explained that my great-grandmothers are dead. It was a really morbid discussion.

Then Sweet Son asked who his mom was when he was a baby. I explained that I was their mom when I was pregnant, when they were babies, when they were little kids, when they will be big kids, and still when they will be adults. I will always be their mom. Sweet Son seemed comforted by that. Sweet Daughter requested a new mom who won't make her sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment