Thursday, May 23, 2013

Helping Moore, OK

Most of you don't know this, but I grew up in Moore, Oklahoma. While I had moved away before the first F5 tornado in 1999, I was able to go back and volunteer for a week after it hit. When the exact same area got hit by another F5 earlier this week, I was once again left feeling helpless. Only this time I can't go back and volunteer.

Much like last time, I have sat by watching the coverage of the devastation on tv. Unlike last time, I am able to keep up with many friends on facebook. I have seen photos of their houses (or rather, what is left of their houses), photos of their kids' schools (or rather, what is left of their schools), and read stories about people helping each other. Unlike just watching it on tv, I know every one of these people. I've seen photos of the 2nd grade classroom a friend's daughter was in when the tornado hit it directly. I use the term classroom very loosely here. It looked like all of the other piles of rubble posted only you could see the room number sticking out from under the door. You would never know it was a classroom or that it had once been part of a school. The kids at that school all survived. The same cannot be said for the school down the street.

I think events like this make everyone feel helpless. Those who were unable to save their neighbors, those who were unable to save their belongings, and those who have just watched from afar. So how can those of us who are not local help? The main thing people are asking for at this point is money. In fact, many agencies have posted lists of things they absolutely don't want people donating because they are already overwhelmed. Things like clothing and toys they are overrun with, while they desperately need more first aid kits and Gatorade.

So, I have put together a list of ways you can help in order from easiest to most difficult.

Go to The Pioneer Woman- For each comment left Ree will donate a dime to the effort with no maximum. It's that simple, just leave a comment on the post - she specifically wants to know what you had for dinner last night. Also, you might end up winning a mixer for your trouble.

Text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. They simply add it to your next phone bill.

Go To Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma or call 604-7111 or text FOOD to 32333 to give $10 to relief efforts.

Go to Donors Choose to donate to help rebuild and stock the schools. 

Go to EduCents and make a purchase through the end of the week and all profits will be donated.

No comments:

Post a Comment