Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dr. Seuss

Everyone has heard of Dr. Seuss and has their favorite books. Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, and The Lorax seem to be loved and remembered by everyone. Most people have never even heard of my favorite Dr. Seuss book. Written in 1973, it took more than 2 decades before someone was able to illustrate it. It was not actually published until after Dr. Seuss' death.

"Some days are yellow. Some are blue. On different days, I'm different too."  This book goes through different colors and feelings in a way young children can understand and older children can easily discuss. After reading the book and talking about it, I let the kids each choose a color to paint with and then they had to tell me how it made them feel.


Sweet Son told me "I feel Blue like a happy tiger painting spots."

Sweet daughter said, "I feel Pink like a hungry butterfly flying to the airport."

I love discussing feeling with two year olds. You never know what you are going to get. Have you ever read this book? Do you like a Dr. Seuss book that most people don't?

No comments:

Post a Comment