Monday, February 25, 2013

How to get through a day without TV

I wrote a post almost a year ago that is still upsetting many people. TV and Computer Time for Babies I've had many people ask me how we make it through a day without the kids watching tv. Here's our typical weekday schedule. (The photos aren't related to the content of this post.)


Sometime before 7:30 The kids wake up and play by themselves - usually completely destroying the playroom.
Between 7:30-7:45am We wake up and tell the kids to get dressed.
7:45-8:15 Breakfast
8:15 bathroom/wash hands/brush teeth/brush hair - drive the kids to school (both kids go T and W, one or the other goes M and Th)
8:30-12:15 School - if one child is at home we have a "Mommy Day" which consists of things like grocery shopping, reading books, playing games,lunch etc. On Fridays both kids are home and we play games, read books, and go to the park.
12:30-3 Nap Time!!!! The most glorious time of the day.
3:00 Circle Time and Snack Time
3:30 Art project
4:00 Play with toys, read books, play outside
5:00 Husband comes home, he plays/reads with kids while I cook (or vice versa)
5:30 Dinner
6:00 Family walk around neighborhood
6:45 bath/shower time
7:00 bed time


That's a full day for the kids without any tv. We only have one tv in the house and we don't turn it on when the kids are awake. The kids don't even know to ask for tv. It's never been an issue or a big deal. On the weekends we are even more busy - always out doing things and on the go.


Now for some confessions - I'm slightly addicted to tv. The minute the kids are in bed, that tv is on and I'm watching it. I'm most likely also sitting with my laptop, something else my kids aren't allowed to use. I have difficulty getting through a day without many hours of screen time and I don't want my kids to have the same issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment